As we age, wrinkles appear on our face. Since aging is inevitable then formation of these wrinkles is inevitable as well. We usually spot them around our eyes, mouth, and on forehead. However, just because appearance of wrinkles is inevitable, it doesn’t mean we can’t slow down the process. When you browse wrinkles and aging online or flipping through magazine, you’ll usually find information about crow’s feet and fine lines under eyes, but forehead wrinkles deserve the same amount of attention as well. Only when you know everything you should know about these wrinkles will you be able to prevent them from showing up on your forehead that fast. The purpose of this article is shed some light on forehead, so keep reading to find out more about them.
What is the Cause of Forehead Wrinkles?
There are several causes of forehead wrinkles. According to scientists, causes of these wrinkles do not really differ from causes of wrinkles elsewhere on our body. Here are the most common causes of forehead wrinkles:
- Hormonal aging – it occurs during the years leading up to and following menopause. This is also the time when our skin produces lower amount of skin-enhancing estrogen. In turn, collagen production decreases significantly and elasticity of the skin is impaired as well.
- Genetic aging – even if you aren’t experiencing hormonal aging, forehead wrinkles and lines can appear due to genetic aging. This is a natural process that affects every person on this planet. It is, also, characterized by breakdown of collagen production and impaired elasticity.
- The sun – it’s known for accelerating aging process. For instance, 80% of wrinkles on your face were caused by sun exposure. Sun accelerates aging process and sometimes you even notice forehead wrinkles on relatively young people. Aging process that is caused by sun is called photo aging. Sun exposure introduces free radicals to your body and it interferes with the production of collagen and elastin fibers. Since your forehead is constantly exposed to sun’s damaging UV rays, without adequate production it is also prone to appearance of age spots as well, along with forehead wrinkles.
- Repetitive facial movements – when you were a child, your mother probably warned you not to frown too much. She has probably said “it’s because your face can stay like that”, then, it was quite funny and you didn’t take it seriously. However, it turns out your mother wasn’t completely wrong. Repetitive facial movements can contribute to formation of wrinkles and fine lines on your face. Stay in front of a mirror and frown; monitor how wrinkled your forehead is. Now, picture yourself doing that several times a day. Due to sun, hormonal aging and genetic aging, your skin’s elasticity weakens which means when you make certain facial movements, in this case frowns, your skin isn’t able to return to its previous position as fast as it used to. In turn, your temporary frown lines can, indeed, become permanent forehead wrinkles.
Why do Forehead Wrinkles Appear?
Just like wrinkles on other areas on your body, forehead wrinkles appearance is related to impaired elasticity and decreased collagen production. When this happens, your skin loses its firmness, tightness, and suppleness, which causes wrinkles and fine lines to be more pronounced. Due to the fact that elasticity is impaired, your skin isn’t able to spring back after you make a facial movement like it used to which also adds to appearance of wrinkles on your forehead. If you already have really high levels of free radicals in your body due to various environmental factors appearance of forehead wrinkles is accelerated which also results in formation of deep wrinkles on your forehead.
Forehead Wrinkles Age Limit
According to Dr. Surbhi Mahajan, dermatologist and founder of Dermatocare.com dynamic wrinkles such as frown lines, forehead wrinkles, even smile lines and crow’s feet are visible as early as in your 20s during the movements of facial muscles. However, in early 30s wrinkles become more visible even when you don’t make facial movements. Severe sun damage and lack of adequate skincare routine can accelerate this process which is why you see people in their 20s with static and noticeable forehead wrinkles.
Deep Forehead Wrinkles
At first, forehead wrinkles show up in form of thin lines that are noticeable when you frown etc, as it was mentioned above. However, with sun damage, and due to natural aging process these wrinkles become more visible. Usually, after 35 years of age you may notice that forehead wrinkles became deep and significantly pronounced.
Forehead wrinkles usually appear as horizontal lines that stretch across your forehead, but vertical lines between your eyebrows may develop as well (they are called frown lines).
Forehead wrinkles, just like wrinkles on other areas of your body, are completely harmless and they are just a result of a normal process, however most people feel subconscious about them mostly because we all want to stop the clock and erase signs of aging.
Prevention of Forehead Wrinkles
You can’t, actually, stop the clock and erase forhead wrinkles; natural aging process can’t be stopped. However, you can combat signs of aging and slow down appearance of forehead wrinkles with adequate skin care and lifestyle adjustments that will keep your skin healthy, youthful-looking, and wrinkle-free as long as possible. Here is what you can do:
- Don’t forget sun protection – most people underestimate power of sunscreens, but they are crucial for retaining skin health and slowing down aging process. Ideally, you should apply sunscreen throughout the year, regardless of the season between 15 to 30 minutes before you go out. Sunscreens create a protective barrier between your skin and harmful UV rays and they prevent them from penetrating deep into skin’s layers causing damage. Nowadays, you can also purchase moisturizers, creams, lip balms and many other products with SPF.
- Manage stress – minimizing stress will also minimize facial movements you make, such as frowning. If you can’t avoid stressful situation, you can always find a unique way to deal with stress in the best possible way. There is always something that makes you feel relaxed and you should focus on that.
- Hydration and diet – staying hydrated throughout the day is of crucial importance for your overall health and good quality of your skin. Also, eating healthy foods (preferably fruits and vegetables) will supply your skin with healthy components it needs and these foods are also rich in antioxidants which fight free radicals.
- Wrinkle creams and serums – most people use anti-wrinkle creams when they notice wrinkles around their eyes or on their forehead, but you should bear in mind that wrinkles begin to form long before they show up on surface of your skin and anti-wrinkle creams may help you prevent signs of aging.
- Don’t worry, be happy – you have already read that frowning plays a major role in formation of deepforehead wrinkles. Therefore, smile more often to prevent these wrinkles.
Treating Forehead Wrinkles
If you have already noticed forehead wrinkles, the very first thought that came across your mind was probably “It’s too late to do anything now”, but you’re wrong. There are various ways to treat forehead wrinkles successfully and minimize their appearance. Some of them are:
- Facial exercises – these exercises help toning your facial muscles, which reduces sagging and wrinkled appearance. Here’s example of one of the exercises you can do to target forehead wrinkles:
- Lower your eyebrows as far as you can while pulling them together
- Then, lift eyebrows as high as possible and as far apart as you can
- Repeat the exercise 5 times, several times a day. Make sure you do it every day as you will only see results with constant exercise.
- Moisturizers – there is a wide range of anti-aging moisturizers available on the market. Moisturizer is the essential part of your skincare routine and its primary aim is to capture the moisture in your skin to leave it nourished and hydrated throughout the day.
- Chemical peels
- Exfoliate – exfoliation is a process of removing dead skin cells and accelerating cells’ renewal process which leads to revitalized and healthy skin.
- Night cream – rich night creams can help minimize forehead lines. Your skin recovers while you sleep and product rich in healthy ingredients and valuable components such as Vitamins, minerals etc. help your skin recover faster, improve collagen production and elasticity. Example of rich night cream is Solvederm’s Suvoderm nighttime repair treatment. It is a quick-absorbing blend of ingredients that repair your skin over night for powerful anti-aging effects. Some benefits of this product include:
- Improves collagen production and skin’s elasticity
- Neutralizes free radicals
- Minimizes appearance of hyperpigmented areas
- Provides long-lasting hydration that makes your skin soft and smooth
- Smoothes away fine lines and evens out skin’s texture.
Forehead wrinkles appear on our skin as one of the inevitable signs of aging, but their appearance is accelerated due to sun exposure. Many treatments are available to make these wrinkles less visible, but with regular skincare regimen, usage of rich night cream, and some lifestyle adjustments it’s possible to minimize appearance of forehead wrinkles in a natural manner.