Age spots are flat, grey, brown or black spots that you notice on your skin. They usually appear on our face and hands, which are parts of our body that were exposed to the sun the most. You might know these spots by other names too such as liver spots, solar lentigines, sun spots etc. When you notice first age spots appearing on your face or hands you usually think there’s nothing you can do about it. However, you can lighten and get rid of these unwanted face marks by following instructions from this article.
Causes of Age Spots
Age spots vary in size and, as stated above, their primary cause is the long-term exposure to ultraviolet light from the sun. Popular tanning beds and tanning lamps can also cause these spots to appear.
UV light accelerates the production of melanin which is the pigment in the upper layer of your skin. In turn, skin gets that nice tan that everybody loves. The main purpose of tan is to protect deeper layers of the skin from harmful UV rays.
On areas that are exposed to sun for a longer period of time e.g. your face and hands, age spots appear when melanin clumps or produced in large concentrations.
Am I At Risk of Getting Age Spots?
People can get age spots regardless of their gender, age, and race. However, the appearance of age spots is usually associated with:
Can I Prevent Age Spots From Appearing on My Face and Hands?
Age spots are harmless and don’t cause any pain. However, since nobody wants to have any spots on their hands and face there are some prevention tips you can implement in order to avoid them. For example:
- Avoid long-term exposure to the sun – it is ideal to avoid going out between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m. because sun’s UV rays are most intense during this period of the day. Moreover, try not to use tanning beds as they also lead to numerous skin disorders as well.
- Use sunscreen – never go anywhere without adequate sunscreen. This also applies to winter or autumn as well. Instead of applying sunscreen before you head out, you should it at least 30 minutes before you leave your home.
- Cover up – for protection from sun’s UV rays it is advised to wear loose clothes made of natural material. Also, you should wear hat and sunglasses too.
Why Treat Age Spots?
The most frequent reasons for treating age spots are:
- In order to enhance self-esteem
- To work on appearance
- To improve skin health.
Reasons for treating age spots vary from person to person, but they are usually due to emotional, physical, and social aspects of person’s life.
Lightening Age Spots
There are plenty of ways you can lighten these marks. For example, there are a lot of treatments that can be performed by dermatologists. However, they often come with various side effects and it is needed to find a reliable and reputable dermatologist who will do his or her job smoothly. Also, spot treatments are considered as cosmetic procedures and insurance usually doesn’t pay for them. This, often, isn’t practical mostly because spot treatments tend to be pricy. Luckily, there are various ways you can lighten age spots in a natural manner. For example, there are numerous skin care products that can aide in fading and eventually eliminating age spots. However, when buying any skin care product you always have to make sure it is made by reputable company. Example of a company that produces high quality skin care products is Solvaderm.
Solvaderm is a leading skincare company whose products are made by experts. Their primary aim is to revolutionize and redefine skin science. All products are effective, don’t cause side effects and irritations, and the best thing of all, they are made with formula invented by other scientists. Moreover, if you’re interested in one of Solvaderm’s products you’re able to find everything you need about it on their website including ingredients. Most companies don’t display list of ingredients or even clinical trials that would assure you their items are safe to use. Here are some ways how to deal with age spots with Solvaderm.
Glowpeel is a powerful exfoliant that is gentle at the same time. This means, it is able to remove dead skin cells from your face without causing irritations and redness. It was scientifically developed to provide skin renewal. Glowpeel promotes replacement of lifeless and damaged cells and restores healthy glow we all love. Main benefits of this product are:
- Removes worn-out cells
- Contains glow-boosting skin brighteners that make age spots less noticeable
- Evens out your skin tone
- Doesn’t dry out your skin.
Glowpeel contains glycolic acid that improves overall quality of your skin by removing dead skin cells, lactic acid which accelerates cell renewal, pyruvic acid whose primary aim is to brighten your skin tone, and kojic acid that acts as skin brightener.
How to use? Make sure your face is clean first, pat dry your skin and spread a thin layer of Glowpeel all over your face and neck with your fingers. Rinse it off after 1 to 3 minutes with cool water.
Suvoderm is defined as a quick-absorbing blend of powerful ingredients that protect and repair your skin overnight for amazingly successful anti-aging effects. Benefits of this product are:
- Enhances the synthesis of collagen which makes your skin noticeably firmer
- Neutralizes free radicals due to high level of antioxidants and prevents appearance of wrinkles
- Brightens your skin in natural manner and fades out age spots and other dark patches on your skin
- Moisturizes the skin
- Evens out skin’s tone and texture
- Kills blemish-causing bacteria.
Suvoderm’s formula includes many ingredients whose positive effects on quality of our skin and fading out age spots are well documented. Some ingredients you can find in this product are: niacinamide (improves elasticity of the skin and fades out discolorations), copper ferment (has vital role in tissue restoration and repair), Vitamin E (renews and revitalizes the skin), and many more. The product is simple to use, apply it on your face after cleansing, with your fingertips in circular motions, and that’s it. Ideally, you should use it before bedtime.
Ace-ferulic is a rejuvenating serum which promotes dermal restoration and aides in anti-aging process. The most important benefits of this Solvaderm’s product are:
- Due to high level of antioxidants, it protects our skin from free radicals
- Improves skin elasticity
- Nourishes skin
- Protects our skin from sun’s radiation which is highly beneficial mostly because age spots are usually caused by exposure to sun’s UV rays.
Ace-ferulic contains ferulic acid (fights free radicals), Vitamin C (essential for synthesis of collagen), Vitamin E (due to protective properties, it inhibits development of scars and age spots) etc. Just like with all Solvaderm’s products, this one is simple to use; wash your face, pat it dry, apply toner (if you use toner), and then apply smaller amount of serum (distribute it evenly over your face, neck etc) and allow it to dry.
Juvabrite Skin Brightening Complex is a treatment for all people who want to lighten age spots without using any harsh chemicals. It is made according to scientifically developed formula that contains most effective lightening ingredients that are able to fade out all dark patches on your skin. It’s easy to apply, wash your face (or any other body part with age spots), pat dry and apply the product on affected area. Ideally, you should use it before bedtime, but if you’re going to use it during the day make sure you apply sunscreen if you’re about to go out.
What you Probably Didn’t Know About Age Spots
Although age spots are quite common and you are able to notice it in most people around you, there are still some things that average person doesn’t know about them. For example:
- Some people have hereditary predisposition to develop age spots and they can even occur during childhood.
- Contrary to popular belief, age spots aren’t cancerous and they don’t lead to cancer. Since skin cancer can also show in form of pigmented spots on the surface of one’s skin, people sometimes associate age spots to skin cancer. To be on the safe side, when you notice blemishes or spots of darker color on your face consult your dermatologist who will inform you whether they’re only age spots or something else.
- Although they are popularly called liver spots, age spots aren’t associated with liver.
Age spots are caused by long-term exposure to the sun, tanning beds and sometimes they can even be hereditary. They are harmless but affect person’s self-esteem. It is possible to lighten them with high quality products that are made by dermatologists. These products are able to fade out your age spots without causing irritations or other negative effects on the surface of your skin.
Age Group : 25 - 50+Rating:
- Dermal Exfoliation and Skin Resurfacing Repair Serum
- Slits away dull, uneven skin tone, dark spots, scars and hyper pigmented areas without any pain or irritation
Age Group : 35 - 55+Rating:
- Minimizes fine lines
- Protects and treats skin damage due to sun exposure
- Makes skin youthful and supple, collagen booster
Age Group : 25 - 50+Rating:
- Age Spot and Pigment Brightening Serum
- Fades discoloration, blemishes and dark spots
- Consists antioxidant vitamins for anti-aging