What is a Moisturizer?
Moisturizer is a product whose purpose is to make the outer layer of your skin smooth and soft. They include a mixture of chemical agents that prolong hydration of the skin by preventing evaporation. Moisturizers are available everywhere. Store-bought products usually contain humectants (keep the skin hydrated), emollients (fill gaps between cells), ceramides (prevent dryness and damage), and occlusives (provide moisture). However, it is also possible to make homemade moisturizers.
Types Of Moisturizer
Moisturizers are available in three different types:
- Ointments – they are semi-solid, and their purpose is to hydrate the skin by reducing water loss. Ointments usually contain ingredients that prolong their shelf life.
- Creams – unlike semi-solid ointments, creams are thick and contain less grease.
- Lotions – are mixtures of water and oil.
Moisturizer For Different Skin Types
Every type of the skin needs an adequate moisturizer in order to be smooth and healthy. For example:
- Normal Skin – is not too dry or too oily. Therefore, in order to keep a healthy balance perfect moisturizer for this skin type is a water-based non-greasy one.
- Dry Skin – needs oil-based and thicker moisturizers to keep the skin moist and nourished.
- Oily Skin – requires light water-based moisturizers that will protect the skin. Oil-based moisturizers could cause the appearance of acne.
- Sensitive Skin – needs moisturizers which don’t contain fragrances, preservatives, and any other allergens.
- Mature skin – requires oil-based moisturizers to keep the skin hydrated because due to aging skin is unable to produce its own oil.
- Combination Skin – needs an oil-free moisturizer to restore its balance.
Difference Between Moisturizers (Skin, Face & Body Moisturizers)
All moisturizers aren’t the same. You should use face moisturizers for your face, and body moisturizers for the rest of the body. They are different due to their structure and formula. Skin, body moisturizers usually have thicker and creamier formula that would clog up pores on your face. Facial moisturizers are light and suitable for the sensitive and gentle skin of your face.
What Moisturizer Does?
Moisturizers treat and take care of your skin and prevent it from drying by holding water in stratum corneum (the outer layer of epidermis). However, that’s not all they do. Moisturizers protect your skin from environmental influences by acting as a barrier between skin and dust, dirt, and other particles. They also make the skin soft, smooth, and nourished.
How To Choose And Use Moisturizer?
There are a lot of ways to choose moisturizer and the purchase depends on your skin and personal preferences. Ways to choose moisturizer include:
- Fragrance Or Fragrance-Free – some moisturizers are have fragrance, and some of them aren’t. However, if your skin is sensitive, then you should not buy fragrances base product because it might cause irritations. You should also bear in mind that some moisturizers that are labeled as fragrance-free might be slightly fragranced to cover up the scent of chemical ingredients. However, natural essential oils are used for the fragrance, and it is always good to use tester (it available) to check the scent.
- Active Or Inactive Ingredients – some moisturizers contain active ingredients (like SPF factor) whose purpose is to protect the skin (in this case from UV rays). On the other hand, moisturizers with inactive ingredients nourish your skin but they do not protect it from the sun.
- Non-Comedogenic – when you see this label on moisturizer, it means it is oil free and doesn’t clog. This moisturizer will remove excess oil from your skin without damaging it.
- Hypoallergenic – cause less allergic reactions, and these moisturizers are good for people whose sensitive skin is prone to irritations and allergic reactions.
- Natural Or Organic – natural moisturizers are made of botanical sources and might include chemicals, and sometimes might not. On the other hand, organic moisturizers do not include chemicals.
- Broad-Spectrum – this moisturizer offers protection from UVA and UVB rays.
Applying Moisturizers Isn’t Complicated, And It’s Done Easily:
- Make sure your skin is clean, after cleaning your face, taking a shower, washing your hands.
- Take a soft towel and gently pat a little bit and apply moisturizer.
- You should moisturize regularly and a few times during the day.
Why You Should Use Moisturizer?
Moisturizers are essential for improvement and maintenance of the skin. If you did not use moisturizers before, here is why you should start:
- Moisturizers improve the way your skin looks.
- If you have rough skin, moisturizers will make it smooth.
- They prevent irritations and redness.
- They keep the skin hydrated.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s)
Can I Skip Moisturizer?
You shouldn’t. Moisturizers play an important role in keeping your skin healthy and nourished. They prevent water from evaporating which leads to smoothness and better balance. Additionally, moisturizer protects you from wind, dust, dirt, and they provide your skin with ingredients that body can’t produce enough or not at all.
Does Moisturizer Reverse Aging And Sun Damage?
Yes, they can. Some moisturizers even come with built-in SPF factor. Due to their formula, moisturizers can treat and revitalize damaged skin. Also, by keeping the skin hydrated and providing the oil that skin due to aging isn’t able to produce, moisturizers reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. However, it is possible only if a person uses the product regularly.
Does Moisturizer Make My Skin Soft And Smooth?
Moisturizers contain ingredients like humectants, emollients, ceramides, and occlusives. Their purpose is to keep the skin hydrated, refill spaces between skin cells, repair any damage on the skin, and produce moisture. All these characteristics lead to softer and smoother skin. Epidermis (outer layer of the skin) needs hydration in order to stay healthy and balanced. However, water evaporates quickly which negatively affects the smoothness of the skin. Moisturizers help retain the water in the epidermis and by regularly applying this product you can have a smooth and soft skin.
Do I Need To Apply Moisturizer Daily?
Yes. Your skin needs to be protected every day. It is recommended to apply moisturizer evenly and to avoid using body moisturizer on your face and vice versa. Effects of moisturizers are visible almost immediately, and your skin will only stay nourished and healthy if you repeat the same process every day.
Is It Necessary To Use Different Moisturizer During Summer And Winter Time?
A moisturizer that you use during summer time might not be creamy enough for winter. It is because winter and cold temperatures tend to dry out the skin, which means you need an adequate moisturizer to keep up with the change and protect your skin properly. Skin retains moisture differently, and it depends on season and temperatures. If you notice that your skin is dry during winter, then use an oil-based moisturizer or water-based during summer. However, if you are one of lucky few people whose skin doesn’t display big changes during different seasons, then you should continue using same moisturizer.
What’s The Difference Between A Facial Moisturizer And A Body Lotion?
Facial moisturizers are lighter and softer. On the other hand, body lotions have a heavier and creamier formula. The skin on our face is gentle and more sensitive than the skin on the rest of our body. Body moisturizers and lotions are specified for relieving dry skin. Face moisturizers relieve dry skin while providing other effects like protection from sun, acne, anti-age, etc. Both types of products contain different structure whose purpose is to take care of certain part of the body. That is why you should never use body lotion for your face.
Do I Really Need An Spf In My Moisturizer?
It is recommended. Sun’s UV rays are harmful and are able to cause various conditions, even speed up aging process. Moisturizers with SPV effect offer your skin protection while you’re out. Naturally, dermatologists always advise that along with moisturizer with SPF effect you should also wear sunscreen to have even better protection.
Why Is Moisturizer So Important For The Facial Skin?
Facial skin is sensitive, and it’s more prone to various damages, the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines, blemishes, color patches, etc. Our face is the most exposed part of the body, and it is only natural it will have more damage than other parts of our body. That is why our facial skin needs adequate protection. Proper protection of the face can repair existing damage and prevent it from occurring again. Additionally, epidermis needs hydration and due to the fact that water evaporates quickly, moisturizer helps preventing that. Also, oil glands on our skin aren’t always able to produce a healthy amount of oil and we have to rely on various products to make up for that.
Do Men Also Need Moisturizer?
Men’s skin can get irritated due to constant shaving or growing beard, and men need moisturizers just as much as women. Moisturizers keep their skin smooth, soft, and prevent it from drying out while eliminating irritations.
Is Moisturizer Good To Apply When You Have Acne?
Yes, moisturizers are even better for your acne than drying out the skin with products that contain a high amount of alcohol. Usually, oily skin is associated with acne, but that just means your skin needs more water than oil. You can use moisturizers that are water-based.
Moisturizers make our skin soft, smooth, and hydrated. Therefore, they’re essential for the proper treatment of the skin and work wonders if you choose moisturizers according the skin type.