Most people just don’t have the time to get enough sleep daily. When your genetics, stress, sun exposure and years of facial expressions are added to the mix, you can start to develop age lines, wrinkles and crow’s feet around your eyes. In many cases, even your beauty habits can significantly add to this problem. Discover the biggest mistakes that may be aging your skin.
1. Scrubbing Your Eye Area
It is important to remove makeup, such as mascara before going to bed at night. Eye makeup is usually very difficult to remove; however, vigorously scrubbing it off is a major mistake that can cause damage to your skin. This can even cause broken capillaries and lead to dark circles. Instead, opt for an oil-based cleanser that can easily melt away eye makeup.
2. Not Using an Eye Cream
The first anti-aging formula in your arsenal should be an eye cream. It isn’t just for addressing aging signs that are already visible, but a good eye cream is also a great way to prevent premature aging in this problematic area. Remember that the skin around your eyes is the thinnest in the entire body, so it is a lot more sensitive and prone to damage. Look for a good eye cream that is designed to address all signs of aging in the eye area.
3. Using the Wrong Eye Cream
There are thousands of eye creams being sold today and the sad fact is that many of them are not very effective. Some can even cause adverse effects so you really need to be careful in choosing a product. Look for an anti-aging formula that can address all aging signs in the eye area.
To help you find the right product, some active ingredients you should look for are:
- Phytonadione – a form of Vitamin K that accelerates repair and healing of the skin. It is particularly effective for dark circles and other discoloration issues.
- Arnica Montana extract – this is a botanical extract that supplements the healing properties of Vitamin K, and it has calming, anti-inflammatory effects that reduce eye puffiness and bags.
- Oxido reductases – these are enzymes that have potent antioxidant activity for preserving the overall health and youthfulness of the skin.
- Hydrolyzed rice bran and soybean protein – these are two botanical peptides that enhance micro-circulation of the skin in the eye area to reduce dark circles and eye puffiness.
4. Wrong Application of Eye Cream
The right eye cream won’t do any good if it is not used correctly. It should be applied after cleansing your face, applying serums and moisturizer. It should be massaged gently onto the skin to enhance absorption, and given enough time to be fully-absorbed.
5. The Use of Wrong Makeup
Some cosmetic products, such as concealers can enhance the appearance of age lines around your face, but others may even contain age-enhancing ingredients. Remember to be careful in researching products you apply on your skin to ensure they won’t promote premature aging.