A little line here, a dark spot or sag there – looking at yourself in the mirror and seeing how your skin changes with age is not the happiest feeling in the world. It’s a little scary, really. So what are the 3 signs of aging that might be giving away your age?
Fine Lines and Wrinkles
Ah yes. The classic ones. The breakdown of collagen and elasticity reduces skin volume, resulting in fine lines and wrinkles. Collagen gives skin strength and elasticity, while elastin keeps it flexible. The bad news is that exposing your skin to the sun unprotected may triple the damage. To help keep skin firm and supple, do not break the cardinal rule of skin care.
- Wash your face before going to bed to remove the day’s makeup, oil and bacteria.
- Exfoliate your skin two to three times a week using a gentle, botanical-based scrub or exfoliating cream.
- Apply a gentle, soothing facial toner to remove stubborn dirt, shrink pores, and add a layer of protection to your skin
- Moisturize your skin. Apply a moisturizing cream with wrinkle fighting ingredients, such as Vitamin C, alpha hydroxy acids, hyaluronic acid and Vitamin E.
- Amp up your skin care routine with an anti aging serum.
The neck is one of the most overlooked parts of the body – probably because our attention goes straight to our face. So even if you are slathering your face with moisturizing creams, but for some reason, your neck was not getting the pampering that it needs, the dreaded “turkey neck” may just be lurking around the corner – and would soon become noticeable. Unfortunately, the neck sags as we age due to flaccid muscles and loose skin. So how do you tighten up your neck without a chemical overload? Surprisingly, you only need to do three things.
- Keep your neck hydrated, which will keep your skin plump and less likely to sag.
- Give your neck some TLC. Pamper it with a moisturizer that contains peptides that can help boost collagen production.
- Avoid accumulating residual fat. Weight gain and loss will certainly cause loose skin under the neck, so keep an overall healthy body fat percentage. That would be 14 to 24 percent for women, and 6 to 7 percent for men.
As you age, you will notice brown spots and other signs of sun damage, especially when sunscreen is not in your daily skin care arsenal. In addition, the dwindling levels of collagen, elastin and fat make your veins protrude more. After age 30, you’ll begin to notice that your hands are not as pretty and young-looking as they were a few years back. To bring back that youthful look of your hands, here are the things that you need to do:
- Apply sunscreen with SPF 30 or higher to the back of your hands daily to prevent further sun damage.
- Keep them well-moisturized by using lotions or creams that contain alpha hydroxyl acids, lactic acids and urea.
- Exfoliate them every week using an enriched, oil-based scrub.
- Protect your hands when cleaning
Preventing the 3 signs of aging is possible through proper skin care.